Eastbourne Downs Golf Course
High on a plateau of the South Downs behind Beachy Head, the course of the Eastbourne Downs Golf Club occupies a glorious position looking over the town of Eastbourne. Southwards over the sea one sees far reaching views along the coastline and out into the English Channel, facing northwards there are superb views of the beautiful undulating downland.
Heading westward towards Brighton on the A259, the course, which was first laid out in 1908 by J.H. Taylor alongside the main road at the top of the hill. The old clubhouse used to be located at the bottom of the hill, completed in 1909 with the first Club Captain Stanley Ellis. Mr. Carew Davies-Gilbert took the opening drive at the opening ceremony on 2 August 1909. In 1974 the club moved to a new one clubhouse, built on "the top" to move the club into a new era alongside many new course alterations.
Image dimensions: 4774 x 3183 pixels